The Digest, our Parish magazine, comes out monthly. Here are a couple of articles from January’s edition. To read more, pick up a copy from Church when you are next there.
New Year …New Broom??
My maternal Grandmother loved cleaning, she loved to dust and polish and have things in their proper places, and most definitely did not like clutter! (much to the anxiety of my Grandpa, who like to collect things and always had toffees in his coat pocket…) One of her sayings was ‘new year new broom’. In other words, let’s start afresh, let us sweep away the old stuff and start again.
In Morning Prayer, before Christmas we were reading Isaiah and in chapter 43 God tells us to look forward not behind to embrace new challenges. He tells us not to dwell on the things of the past. God is not saying don’t remember, because remembering is important, but rather, He is talking about worrying about historical things that are destructive and affect our lives in an unhealthy or negative way.
Let’s not worry about the former things because God is doing something new. Perhaps our reply, our prayer should be: God please make a fresh start within me, renew in me your Spirit, and help me to sort out the chaos in my life (paraphrased from Isaiah 43: 18-19 and Psalm 51: 10)
So, at the beginning of this new year with all the things it is going to bring us; changes and challenges, and all the excitement and perhaps a little anxiety that accompanies it. We shall be continuing our journey together as the parish of Pakefield, remembering that worship is the number one thing that we do. So, let us think about the words of God in Isaiah, here, and let us be ready to respond!
Blessings Revd Sharon
Christian Copyright Licensing International have announced the top 20 favourite hymns
- 10,000 Reasons (Bless The Lord) (Jonas Myrin, Matt Redman )
- In Christ Alone(Keith Getty, Stuart Townend)
- What A Beautiful Name(Ben Fielding, Brooke Ligertwood)
- This Is Amazing Grace(Jeremy Riddle, Josh Farro, Phil Wickham)
- Cornerstone (Edward Mote, Eric Liljero, Jonas Myrin, Reuben Morgan, William Batchelder Bradbury)
- How Great Is Our God(Chris Tomlin, Ed Cash, Jesse Reeves)
- O Praise The Name (Anástasis) (Marty Sampson, Dean Ussher, Benjamin Hastings)
- How Deep The Father’s Love For Us (Stuart Townend)
- How Great Thou Art (Stuart Wesley Keene Hine)
- Hosanna (Praise Is Rising) (Paul Baloche, Brenton Brown)
- Psalm 23 (Stuart Townend)
- Blessed Be Your Name (Beth Redman, Matt Redman)
- The Lion and The Lamb(Brenton Brown, Brian Johnson, Leeland Mooring )
- Be Still (David J. Evans)
- King Of Kings Majesty (Jarrod Cooper)
- Amazing Grace (My Chains Are Gone)(Chris Tomlin, John Newton, Louie Giglio)
- Shout To The Lord (Darlene Zschech)
- Mighty To Save (Ben Fielding, Reuben Morgan)
- Good Good Father(Anthony Brown, Pat Barrett)
- Great Are You Lord (David Leonard, Jason Ingram, Leslie Jordan)